Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Art On Demand

This is the art quilt I finished today, Discharge Series, 4. I actually made these two pieces this week (today's and yesterday's) to submit to an exhibit on the East Coast, and I've got to send off the application and images this Friday. I had been thinking about these two quilts, the one above especially, and deciding to enter the show gave me the impetus to actually create the art. So in essence, it was a case of producing art on demand.

In the quilt pictured here, which is 13 x 25.5 inches, the discharged fabric is cotton gauze and the backing is rayon. Because the top fabric was relatively flimsy, I put a traditional border on this one. Yesterday's piece, without the traditional border, was made of a discharged cotton top with linen/rayon backing.

Tomorrow I'll be working on my 4/52 quilt for this week plus finishing up two art cloth pieces.


Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, Connie! These last 2 pieces are just incredible! I will admit I have yet to come up with such contrast in my discharge experiments... you have really done a great job on these!


Sandra Rude said...

And this one is just as wonderful as the last. Wish I could see them "in the flesh."