Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Not My Color

I'm grousing a bit today...thinking about a friend who, earlier this year, said she loved a scarf that I'd woven and would buy it if it were her color. In a moment of desperation a couple months later, I thought about calling her and offering to dye it for her, but decided I really didn't want to.

But that whole scenario is one of many reasons I decided to turn my focus away from the wearable art market -- except for the handpainted silk scarves I've been doing lately. If folks love a piece of art, they'll make room for it in their environment. Not so with wearable art -- it has to be just the right color to wear it on the body. I mean, let's face it, I feel the same way! I'm very color conscious when it comes to clothing myself. Some people, obviously, don't favor the same colors I do, or they wouldn't use that excuse for not buying my work.

I'm having a bit of a down day today but I won't bitch anymore here. If you can't resist hearing more of what I have to say today, though, check it out here on my other blog. Otherwise, I'll see you tomorrow!

9 comments:

Sunrise Lodge Fiber Studio said...

Hey there! I have to let you know that everything you make wearable or not is MY COLOR!!! Not becaue I would normally purchase a garment with those colors but, because you have SUCH and eye for color!!! Please don't let one person's view get you down. I read your blog every time you post and I personally think you are 'cutting edge' with not only your wearable art but your surface design techniques. ;) YOU are a true ARTIST!!! ;)

Gerrie said...

She is right. Your work is always stunning.

Sandra Rude said...

Connie, you should always work with colors YOU like. If you try to please the potential buyer, you end up compromising your own vision of the finished piece, the risk being that it shows, to you or to others. I try to push myself to work with colors that aren't my own palette preferences, but somehow I always find that the dyepot hands me the colors I wanted in the first place. It's got a mind of its own, that dyepot!

Connie Rose said...

Thanks SO much. You all really made my day!

Meg in Nelson said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns. I've had few comments from friends who said the same or similar; I understood them to mean, I love your work but not enough to part with my $.

Goodness, it's depressing...

Valerie said...

And perhaps many of us need to think a little more outside the box when it comes to "my color".

We live in the shadow of the curse that was called "color me beautiful" almost two decades ago. And so few of us learned how to push colors in the direction that we favor.

Connie Rose said...

Valerie, that must have been the curse that dictated that we all have our "colors done"! I'm a "Fall," what about you?!

shiborigirl said...

here's my solution...
i dye what i like, and what i want to try or experiment with. i rarely like everything that comes out in a session but often the ones i personally like are not the first to sell. they have to meet the right person.
then, if i tire of seeing something in the lineup and it's not selling- i cut off any beads and throw it in the scrap heap- ready for cutting up and sorting into "inspiration packs" of asst. hand dyed silk scraps that are color coordinated over a glass of wine with a friend.
i sell out of these at every quilt show right away!

Katherine Regier said...

Connie,
I have heard those excuses before. Not my color, not my size, etc... I think your friend admires your work, saying it's not her color is a way for her to save face when she really means she doesn't have the money to buy it or she thinks its too expensive.
Your work is beautiful. I agree with everyone here, follow your muse!