Friday, August 29, 2008

Interesting New Projects

Discharge painted black cotton warpI've got two interesting new projects on my loom now. This is a painted warp piece, only I started with black mercerized cotton and discharged it with bleach as though I was painting it with dye. I'm really interested in the possibilities for discharging and this is one of my initial experiments. I'll be using that dyed-discharged silk weft in black/green/gold that I posted a photo of a few posts ago, so this woven substrate should be really interesting.

The second piece on this warp will be all black -- the cotton warp woven up with black tencel, in a networked twill pattern. Ever since learning about network drafts, through Alice Schlein's incredible work, I've wanted to try it. Unfortunately having only 8 shafts seriously limits what's possible with network drafting, but I'm hoping to push the edges with what I've got, over time. At any rate, my plan is to weave a length of black fabric in two fibers, then discharge shibori the piece, although I'm not intending to weave in the shibori threads. I don't have enough shafts to do that as well as the network draft.

I'll start weaving the first piece tomorrow and am looking forward to it!

3 comments:

weaverly said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my work. I love yours, too! You are an incredibly inventive dyer. BTW, Network Drafting on 8 shafts is very doable. Carry on.
Alice

Peg in South Carolina said...

I double everything weaverly said! This looks like it is going to be an amazing piece.

Connie Rose said...

Well, 3 inches in and I already ripped out the painted weft -- will use that for the second piece on only-black warp. The combination of the colors of the painted weft with the discharged warp was absolutely discordant. So I'm 4 inches in now with black cotton weft on the discharged cotton warp, doing a network pattern -- and I'm loving it!