I wove up a few inches with the painted silk weft I had intended to use, but I didn't like how it looked. That piece was going to be plain weave (tabby), as well. So I started over with black cotton for the weft, and now weaving the network twill that the warp is threaded for. I'm really happy with it, it's going to be a beautiful piece of cotton fabric to work with.
The second piece, which was going to be black tencel on black cotton, instead will be the painted weft on black cotton, and treadled differently to create a network pattern distinct from the current one.
My black on black piece will just have to wait for another time.