Thursday, July 3, 2008

Warped & Beamed

Painted silk warp on loomI beamed up this morning at warp speed -- compared to the last 20/2 silk warp I worked with, which was the warp from hell -- and I'm almost ready to start weaving. I'm just waiting for my dyed-last-night 2000 yard silk weft to dry.

Dyed silk weft, dryingMeanwhile, with the dye I had left over from painting this warp, I dyed 2 ounces of tussah silk the other day, and I'm spinning that up now.

Dyed tussah silk

I also just finished a second 350-yard skein of the merino/alpaca top plied with hand dyed silk hankies. I'll probably get a third 350-yard skein out of what I have left to spin up.

Enjoy the day...I know I will!

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

How wide is that current warp? I've got a 40" on mine that I'm procrastinating with starting because I have a feeling I'm going to hate throwing the shuttle so wide. It's a requested project otherwise I'd never be doing something so wide. Tell me it's not going to be so bad. P.S. I have no fly shuttle equipment.

Connie Rose said...

It's 30" wide and I know it's going to be uncomfortable to weave. I don't use a fly shuttle either, pretty basic here (see my last post). I'm hoping the joy of weaving painted warp and watching the design unfold will make up for the pain I anticipate feeling in my arms!
One of the reasons, besides space, that I bought a 36" loom is because I knew at the outset that it would be difficult for me to throw a shuttle any wider.
Good luck on your project. Definitely keep me posted!

Taueret said...

ohh those buttery golds are so beautiful.

Connie Rose said...

Thanks Taueret!

Sue O'Kieffe said...

so i hope you keep the beam me up scotty jokes to a minimum *grin*
~sue

Connie Rose said...

Sue, I'd actually thought about using that phrase in this post, but decided against it!
Hope to see you this weekend. Have a great 4th!

Peg in South Carolina said...

Is the spinning you are embarking on going to be the weft for this silk warp? It definitely looks gorgeous.