Sunday, January 22, 2017

Retrograde

I had intended to write on Friday, but strongly felt I needed to observe another sort of Black Friday by wearing black and being in a state of mourning.  I'm still wearing black and I'm still mourning, but life does go on.

Then after seeing the millions of people who marched yesterday, virtually everywhere in the world, I'm feeling glimmers of hope for our collective situation.  It's not going to be pretty, and damage to life as we knew it had already begun not one hour after "that deal" got sealed.  But I have some degree of confidence that collectively we might be able to stem the tide of the worst of what's to come.  That's what I'm praying for, anyway. 

The only ways to get through these increasingly tough times are through activism and art.  I'm not much of an activist at this point, but I'm surely not going to give up on my art.  Especially with the likely destruction of the NEA (National Endowment for the Arts), now is the time for all us indy and outsider artists to make ourselves heard in all ways possible.  Making art just might save our lives.

Because life on earth is now in retrograde...

 











8 comments:

Carol Cohn said...

Wow, you've been busy, Connie! As always, great composite collages, and I love the lettering work. The shades and colors are just terrific!

tgarrett said...

I just love your journal. Yes dark times- I had posted a spread in the Orly group and it ended up a firestorm- 3 people said I was using the group for political reasons- as you might have seem the flood of posted started and long story short- almost all the group supported me and the 3 that had an issue are gone- Orly was going to ask them to leave because of their hateful remarks to me but they left on their own. So even in an art group the mess is found. Ended well- Orly will not tolerate hate. xoxox

Jan said...

So well said, Connie. Once again, fabulous collages. xxj

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Busy..the best kind of busy...making art. Wonderful collages and I so like your lettering and message.
I'm on the phone to D.C. most mornings and I was so amazed at the World support...this will not be easy and we have real losses but maybe we can hold on for 2 years until we get a better fighting force. I'm actually hopeful.

jenclair said...

Seeing so many people people in so many places taking part in a the various marches was inspiring! You are having great fun with your collages--thanks for sharing. :)

john said...

Just plain fascinating. I stopped to look at the butterfly for a long time. So much to take in and wanting to remain on each one for just one minute more.

Jacki Long said...

Wonderful work Connie, hopeful & strong!

Jeanne-Sylvie said...

I found a quote in Stephanie Lee's last blog post that i want to share with you:"Creativity has transformational powers. Not just for the individuals who practice an art, but for society as a whole. Every time one of us increases the spiritual voltage, ALL of us see more clearly."Pam Grout
And your collages are really strong and inspiring!
I send you my warmest thoughts from my corner of this big world, be well!