Saturday, August 16, 2014

Back To The Future

And now, back to our irregularly scheduled programming...

Here's my new coordinated set of Gelli printing plates ~~ 4x6, 5x7, 6x6, 3x6, and 4x12.  They're a set because they used to be one 12x14 inch plate.  I never did much with that huge printing plate anyway.  Gelli, as you may know, has recently started selling several small-sized plates that I definitely wasn't going to spend even more money on.  So...you do the math.  I think the likelihood of my using any or all of these smaller plates is far greater than my ever using the huge plate again.  (I still have my original 8x10 inch plate.)

Here's what I did:  I used an Omnigrip ruler (one of those used for making cuts on fabric for quilting), and a sharp craft knife.  The gelli stuff was especially hard to cut at the top and bottom ends of my incisions, and I'm afraid I didn't do as clean a job as I would have liked.  I figured that if I really use one of those small sizes a lot and the slightly uneven edge bothers me, then perhaps I'd buy one that size!  I've already had a couple comments asking to know what I did, so here it is.

I actually feel a few minor stirrings of inspiration to Gelli print again...but then, I feel that way about several things at the moment.  Meanwhile, it's a lot easier to just lie down and read a book.

I'll be taking a book making class in September from one of our local NorBAG members.  Looking forward to that.  I've also wanted to do some Jude Hill-inspired hand stitching for quite a while, so will likely enroll in one of her online classes before August is out (all her classes are on sale this month).

Have a great weekend.  xoxo

8 comments:

ileneharris said...

The picture would make an excellent advertisement for the Gelli Arts Company. You could sell that to them...

Anna H said...

Now, you need to tell us how you cut that big one. I have one also, and have been thinking about the cutting but didn't know how to do it. Thanks....

Roberta said...

Oh yes, do tell how you made the clean perfect cuts.

Maggi said...

A good bit of improvisation.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Those gelli shapes will give you lots of options to play with. Jude Hill, ah such a soulful stitcher. That will be fun. xox

PamelaArtsinSF said...

What a great idea! I hope your minor stirrings become stronger since I love your gelli printing.....
If I had a big plate I might cut it up too but I only have an 8x10....

Jean said...

I too cut up my plate, as I had an extra 8x10 that I had bought for someone else, and she decided she did not want one. So I cut my old one.. did not really have anything to lose!! I used my big paper cutter, and left the plastic sheets on. I also had to do the ends with a ruler and knife, the cutter only would cut so far,

Julie said...

I used heavy-duty Fiskars scissors to cut mine up. Worked pretty well with a bit of an organic feel. Wasn't as pleased with my circle....