Friday, June 27, 2014

The Saga Continues...

Art Journal page, May 2014
I'm kind of hoping that by posting this last image from my recent Neutrals Journal, I'll get off my duff and do more.  More anything.  Actually I am moving in the direction of continuing with neutral collages, primarily.  Just deciding whether I'll use a blank 8-1/2 x 11 sketchbook that I have or whether to make a hand bound journal.  I have recycled book covers waiting, and everything else I need.  I prefer the square format and if I make my own journal than I can make it square.  So...

On my duff, this week I read (or finished) The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, Country of Origin by Don Lee, The Dinner by Dutch author Herman Koch, and now I'm on After Her by Joyce Maynard.  All good reads.

I've been watching Borgen, a 3-season Danish political drama, and really enjoying it.  Those Danes make great movies and great television.  Borgen is available via Netflix or here.  Another excellent Danish TV mystery is Forbrydelsen, available hereForbrydelsen is the original Danish version of The Killing, currently running somewhere on network TV in the States.  The original is way better IMHO.

And speaking of TV, if you like political thriller-type shows and you haven't seen it yet, Netflix's House of Cards is a must-see.  In this case the remake is a lot better than the original British mini-series of the same name, from 1990.  They're both focused on the absurdities of politics in place and time.  But whereas the original is more of a satire, the new House of Cards, starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, is much edgier, grittier, true to political life in the U.S. now.

Whatever you're up to, have a good weekend.  xo

11 comments:

PamelaArtsinSF said...

I'm with you on House of Cards -- loved it. Have a good weekend, Connie.

jenclair said...

You've been busy with your reading. I haven't read any of these, so thanks for the suggestions!

Jan said...

What did you think of The Goldfinch? I haven't read it, but read an interesting article about it in Vanity Fair--couldn't finish it because it was in a lobby...forgot to look it up online.

Leslie said...

Night of the Iguana. I do like your monotone collages.

Roberta said...

Love House of Cards! And thanks for the tip on the Danish show on Netflix. I will check it out!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Love Joyce Maynard and thanks for the tip on how to get some of those Scandinavian programs. Nice neutral collage. Looking forward to more. xox

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

Borgen!! :-)

Maggi said...

I haven't seen House of Cards but loved the original version of the Killing and the subsequent series. The Borgen series have been fascinating too.

john said...

I love that you are working in black and white and shades in between. So fun!

Charlton Stitcher said...

I have The Goldfinch waiting to be read on the next trip away starting this weekend ... it seems to come well recommended. I will let you know how it goes for me.

Karen Isaacson said...

The goldfinch is this month's book for my book group, but I've barely cracked the cover. I'm going to need to shut myself in the house to finish it on time. I read her first book when in came out (how could that have been more than 20 years ago?) and I hated it, so had no intention of reading this one, but this has gotten such good reviews, and I want to be able to participate in the group discussion, so I'll give it a go. Sounds like you liked it?