Monday, June 30, 2014

New Journal

Here's the new collage journal I made a couple days ago.  I covered the boards and cut the signatures on Friday, and Coptic bound it on Saturday.  The boards were from a book I dismantled and I cut them down to fit 8-1/2 x 8-1/2 inch pages.  There are 12 signatures of 12 pages each, 144 pages.  Although I only plan to work on the front side of each page.  I used 80 lb. drawing paper inside.

The photos I used to cover the journal are from another book I dismantled, this one featuring nearly all black and white photos of walls in Europe.  I've recently used pieces of photos from this book in collages as well.

It's anybody's guess when I'll start working in this book ~ although that might be as soon as today.  I've got another journal/sketchbook planned as well, with paper left over from cuts I made for this journal.  Not sure yet how I'll cover the second one, maybe with fabric this time.  And a different binding method.

Inside the front cover

Inside the back cover
Hope you're having a beautiful summer.  I think ours is finally here for real on the North Coast.  xo

14 comments:

Anna H said...

It's beautiful, such a great journal!

jenclair said...

The black and white images are intriguing. Curious about what direction the innards will take!

Meg Fowler said...

Love these images! This is going to be a fun one to work in.

Leslie said...

That's a great book in so many ways. I especially love the cover. Chocolat is one of my favorite movies. Book binding is such a neat art.

That book of walls in Europe sounds wonderful. I love b/w photography.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

It's wonderful Connie! The black and white photos look so interesting on the covers. I look forward to seeing what you do with the insides as well. I'm glad to see that you're still busy binding.

And, yes, it is rather warm out there... It's almost hard to believe it's Humboldt County!

john said...

Fantastic! Lucky you to get to work in such a wonderful creation. Aren't you glad to be an artist! :-)

Jan said...

What is it about B&W--love it. This is a very cool journal.

Maggi said...

Such lovely things to have waiting in the wings until you decide it is their time to be used.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Love squar shaped boks and that is a nice size to work in and quite portable. great old book pages....love photos of walls and doors. xox

tgarrett said...

Connie- that is amazing I really like it -love it for many reason- black and white is so nice for somethings!

Charlton Stitcher said...

I love the subdued palette of this book and that simple binding. Very striking ...

PamelaArtsinSF said...

What a beauty! Love the binding and the B&W paper too.

PamelaArtsinSF said...

What a beauty! Love the binding and the B&W paper too.

Jeanne Aird said...

Wonderful, vintage images, beautifully bound! It'll inspire you to do great things inside as well. Happy creating!