Wednesday, June 18, 2014

It's Almost Halloween

This is the last of May's 5 x 5 inch paintings on panel that I have to show.  Who knows what and when my next paintings will come forth...and who cares, right?

I made my semi-monthly trek into Eureka yesterday.  The highlight of the trip was having coffee with my friend Ellen, bookmaker extraordinaire, who also liberally and frequently enables my postage stamp addiction ~ with stamp heads especially.

It's getting ever more difficult for me to shop for the things I do need (and that's food, mainly) after I spend so much time normally dissociated from the consumer-driven culture.  Everywhere I look, pretty much all around me, I see little else besides poison (toxic "food"), schlocky junk, or totally unnecessary things that people have been conned into believing they need in order to have fulfilling lives.  I used to be one of those people, eons ago, until I realized I'd never, ever keep up, and then stopped trying, completely.  Then I sold or otherwise removed from my life everything that was superfluous.  In this striped down version of a 21st century person I found my true inner wealth and happiness.

Anyhow, I think I'm going to try only going into Eureka once a month, if I can do it.  Most of everything else I buy besides food I already buy online (and much of that at Amazon).  So I think I can manage this without much difficulty.

Life is going on around me, or perhaps I should say whizzing past me ~ and I don't even care.

xo

9 comments:

Charlton Stitcher said...

I will miss these little, square paintings ... and I love the colours in this one especially. I hope it's not a final swan song but if it is, it's a beautiful way to end.

ileneharris said...

Hmmmm - a bit of existentialism here, perhaps? So be it...

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Oh your friend's books are quite wonderful. Stamp heads are a worthy addiction and your new piece is quite textural and in my favorite color palette. Downsizing stuff, yup, Food simpler yup. I will say I am somewhat addicted to thrift stores usually because their vignettes are so pretty to see. Amazon, yes, but I have found less expensive online venues as well for much of the same thing. xox

Birdie said...

Hello

this is my first time commenting - I found your blog a while back and have been empathising with your creative journey as I seem to be going through something similar.

I am also empathising with your feelings about urban environments - they are more overwhelming everytime I visit them!

I probably won't comment too often - unfortunately I am usually on my iPad and blogger refuses my comments when I'm using it so...

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I don't blame you for wanting to limit your exposure to "civilization"! One reason I love living out of town is I don't have to deal with people as much as when we lived in L.A... I can breathe out here! And I'm wondering if your next adventure shouldn't be to blog about how to simplify one's life? You have done a lot of that and could help others along that journey... just sayin'!

Emily Archer said...

Yes, yes, to Judy Sall's suggestion, Connie. Already I have found inspiration and motivation from your example.

Irene said...

It is good to strip down your life of superfluous things, but make sure you don't strip all the joy from it. Sometimes we need to do things that seem strictly illogical and just for fun. And we do need to indulge ourselves every once in a while and not live like a nun.

john said...

What a wonderful piece of art and what a wonderful simplified life. Good for you.

Maggi said...

Another really good one. Shopping is one of the things that I hate to do, albeit a necessary one at times. I have to buy most of my food online too as the choice of organic is so much reduced these days.