Saturday, March 1, 2014

More Oldies But Goodies

I forgot to show you this book when I previously posted images of the old gardening/natural history books in my collection.

This one is The Birds of America by John James Audubon, from 1946.  Large format, every single page has gorgeous color plates on wonderful old paper.  I got this for $.50 at a local thrift shop, thinking I might cut it up for collage fodder.  But I just can't!


Another unusual math-related book from the Bargain Shelf at Eureka Books.  This one is from 1924 and has hand written annotations, sometimes full pages, glued in (see next photo).  Love these old math books.

Here's an odd one, from 1905.  Could have been written in 2005.

NOT GUILTY ~ A Defense of the Bottom Dog.  Read the cover.  
These are the end papers, front and back.  Simply beautiful.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

You do have some great old books. The Audubon is a treasure. Not sure I could cut it up either, altho I'm pretty heartless when it comes to whacking up books. Also love the writing in the math book.

amy of four corners design said...

these are fantastic! I also have a copy of the Audubon book (he's a fav of mine!) I got it free at a yard sale since it is heavily water damaged - but perfect for cutting up! and the others...such prizes!

Jacki Long said...

Wonderful!
I do love old books!
And, you have given me an idea for a future post. Thanks Connie, I always look forward to your posts. ♥

PamelaArtsinSF said...

Oh! The bird book is so beautiful. I would want to cut it up but I really doubt if I could...(I buy them all the time with the intension of cutting up for collage...but...). They are all lovely books. Thanks for sharing.

Charlton Stitcher said...

What a fascinating and very varied post! The last says so much about the sad and unchanging ways of the world and the first is just glorious. Thank you so much for sharing them both.

Maggi said...

Great books but the Birds pif America is so beautifully illustrated, no wonder you don't want to cut it up.

Meg Fowler said...

Lovely books, Connie. I understand your hesitancy in cutting up the Audubon book. I have bought 3 with the intention of using one of them for collage. I still can't cut it up! I did find some wrapping paper from Dover Books a while back that had his songbirds on it. I'm not sure it's still available. They do have a book of Audubon's birds you can cut with abandon!

john said...

Lucky you! I love finds like this.