Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Moon Shadows

Moon Shadows is my third (and last, for now) book for Roxanne Evans Stout's wonderful The Thread That Weaves online class.

I knew right off that I wanted to make one of the books dark, and it came together virtually by itself once I'd pulled scraps of discharged fabric to use.  For those who might not know, to discharge means to remove color from fabric, usually commercial black fabric.

There's a lot of free motion quilting here.  All of the fabric is of my own design, except for the three small pieces of genuine mud cloth on the inner pages.  Plus, I was able to use some trinkets I'd been saving for many years ~ it's always nice to use up stuff you already have on hand.
All of the pages themselves, inside and out, are torn pieces of discharged raw silk that were fused to the painted watercolor paper substrate.  Commercial black raw silk is extremely difficult to get the color out of.  Using bleach with silk is a no-no, except I did, in order to get the black dye to discharge, which left the fabric thin on the tan parts and therefore not really good for any application where fabric strength would be a necessity.  Tearing it up and fusing it to paper was an ideal use for this cloth.

The outside rear and three inner pages are 4-1/2 inch square (approx.) quilts.  I fused the two discharged fabrics to black flannel, then machine stitched the pattern lines.  The mud cloth pieces were hand stitched onto the little quilts, then I added seed or bugle beads and an embellishment.

This is inside page left with a silver button added.

Inside center, with a beautiful chunk of abalone shell.

Inside right, with another silver button.

The inner book was constructed using four already cut-out "moons" from a soy-wax batiked/discharged piece of muslin.  I fused them onto two pieces of black linen, placed so that I created two folios, and then hand stitched the signature into the crease of the book.  I'm only showing one of three inner pages ~ the full haiku reads ~

Silvers of light shine
On nuanced panes of darkness
Diving deep in thought

The centerpiece on the outside rear panel includes a sterling brooch that I've had for many years.  The pin back broke off eons ago.  That's genuine old Roman glass in the center.

The Thread That Weaves is a terrific class...highly recommended.  I learned a lot about putting disparate elements together, especially scraps and leftovers, and creating something new and exciting.  So goes mixed media.

20 comments:

tgarrett said...

I am totally blown away! You are just amazing Connie- this thrills me.

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh Connie, I am thrilled with this too, and that you and Terry both made three books, all so different, all so meaningful. Thank you so much for being such a beautiful artist in this workshop!!
roxanne

Jeannie said...

Connie, another amazing and inspiring book!!! It is just stunning. The class is on my list for after the New Year. Wishing you a peaceful, quiet Christmas with BeeGee! Hugs.

Irene said...

I'm so glad one of us is making beautiful things that the other one can admire. If you did not create all this beauty, I would have to and I am incapable. I can only do this in my wildest dreams.

Roberta said...

Lovely Connie. Really nice!

Leslie said...

This is neat. All the dark torn fabrics and thready stitching with the bits of jewelry and buttons is an interesting contrast. I like it.

Sandy said...

This book is even better.

tiedyejudy said...

What a treasure this is, Connie! I love the fabrics, embellishments, stitching... you have created something very special here, and your love of the process is quite evident!

Jeanne Aird said...

What a beautiful book. Each page is a small masterpiece on its own.

Maggi said...

Connie, this is just so beautiful.

Meg Fowler said...

Connie, I have been coming back to this page over and over for the past two days ... just to look at this gorgeous book again. So lovely! I do believe I'm going to have to take this class.

Susan Christensen said...

Really a wonderful book Connie! I want to hold it and turn all the pages.
-sus

Jacki Long said...

What a treasure. You are so gifted Connie and have such an eye for design and color. A joy to look at. Lucky you! ♥

Charlton Stitcher said...

This is lovely - all those wonderful muted colours - delicious! This deserves a really careful look when I'm back home and looking on a big screen. I'll look forward to it ...

Vicki said...

Connie, your work is such an inspiration. I am an "old quilter" with a room full of fabric that hasn't been touched since I started making jewelry. Recently, I have dug out some old hand-dyed and discharged pieces and I'm enjoying, once again, having fabric in my hands. I feel another shift coming. Your work here is feeding my deepest desire to rekindle my love affair with textiles.

john said...

Absolutely fantastic! What I love is the organic feel of each of the pages. Wonderful!

Karen Isaacson said...

oh wow - this leaves me breathless. beautiful, beautiful work.

ingridp said...

thank you Connie for recommending this class. it´s all about me and my love for fabrics. I am signing up!

jenclair said...

I have simply been unable to catch up with all of favorite bloggers--at least with all of their posts.

Can not believe I missed this post! Gorgeous, Connie!

ryan james said...
This comment has been removed by the author.