Monday, August 12, 2013

The Weekend

My Altered Book-Recycled Journal workshop took place on Saturday in Arcata.   It was a rousing success.  Everybody who attended learned a lot and had a blast, and very cool altered books were made by all.

This is the book I made ~ it was a newer book to begin with, so I completely recovered it with atlas pages.  The front cover sports a map of western Canada, while eastern Canada graces the back cover.

My new journal is 9-1/4 x 6-1/4 inches, filled with a variety of recycled papers.  There are numerous pockets and fold-outs within, and yesterday I edged many of the pages with washi tape.  Binding stitch is the Double X stitch, ala Keith Smith.

I think I might use this journal for my next Everyday Journal ~ although I don't expect to finish the current one I'm working in until the end of this year.

In other news ~ I've been reading a lot again...and largely I've been focusing on Scandinavian mystery, now called Nordic Noir.  My love of this genre began with Stieg Larsson (The Girl... series) and then Henning Mankell (Wallender series).  Larsson and Mankell are Swedish.  Then I moved on to Jo Nesbo's (Norwegian) Harry Hole series.  I recently began reading Arnaulder Indridason's books -- he's Icelandic -- and I think it was Alice at Weaverly who turned me on to him.  I pulled a new-to-me Danish author off the library shelf the other day and finished the book in a couple days ~ The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen (Dept. Q series). 

Two other Nordic authors I haven't read yet but will soon are Peter Hoeg (Danish), who wrote Smilla's Sense of Snow among others, and James Thompson, who's Finnish.

And since we're talking about mystery, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Michael Connelly, my favorite American noir author.  If you haven't yet read him, his book are highly recommended.  But start at the beginning of the series, with The Black Echo.  Here's a list of Connelly's book in order.  Most of his books take place in Los Angeles, my hometown.

12 comments:

Meg Fowler said...

First, new email link worked like a charm. Thanks for working this out!

Didn't know you were a mystery buff. Michael is definitely a favorite of mine. And I've started reading the foreign ones, too. Like you, the Girls got me hooked. I've only read some of those you mentioned. Would love to know how much you enjoyed each of these authors.

Oh ... your new journal is terrific!

Leslie said...

Love the new journal. That double X stitch looks great - it's one of my favorites. I like that the thread is not a huge contrast in color to the paper, it's all very subtle. And the map cover is very cool, I need to use maps more.

And thanks for the reading list.

Margaret Cooter said...

The BBC has, over recent weeks, done most or perhaps all of the Sjowall and Wahloo books as Saturday Afternoon Theatre. (How do they fit the whole book into an hour??) These were written in the 70s or perhaps even 60s ... I read them in the 70s in the yellow-covered Gollanz editions (happy memories - but rather gloomy books!)

Karin said...

I love your bookbinding and hope to find a place to learn about it here on the internet ;) I'm Danish and I have read all the boks of the nordic wrighters you talk about ;)) You really can look forward to read the serie from Yussi Adler Olsen, and the first is in the movie right now ;)
Karin

Sandy said...

The book is wonderful. I'm glad to still be on your list. I love mysteries too. Thanks for commenting about Billy. He is a cutie that's full of heck.

Sandy said...

The book is wonderful. I'm glad to still be on your list. I love mysteries too. Thanks for commenting about Billy. He is a cutie that's full of heck.

Maggi said...

The email link definitely worked well.

I love your journal and I'm sure that you will enjoy filling it when you have finished your current one.

I am a huge Nordic Noir fan and especially enjoy Henning Mankell. I find his non-Wallander books are just as gripping too. Stieg Larssson is such a good writer too. There are some names on here that I'm not familiar with so I've started to compile a winter reading list. Thank you

PamelaArtsinSF said...

WOW!! That jornal is just too wonderful. I would love it. If I were near you I would surely take your class in journal making. Can you show us how to make fold-out pages?
And Michael Connelly is my favorite mystery writer -- I've read all his books in order and visited some of the LA locations like Angel's Flight after reading them...

tiedyejudy said...

I am so glad your class went well! I hope you do more in the future... you have so much talent to share! As for reading, I have very little time these days, but just picked up my first ever Stephen King, "Joyland". I'm really enjoying it, and love his writting style. But I may look for some of the Nordic Noir genre or Michael Connelly next, as I love a good mystery! Thanks for the tip...

Jeannie said...

Yippee! I am so glad the class was a success (there was never a doubt in my mind). I am so in like with that double x binding stitch. Can you imagine reading a novel with that stitched binding? Of course, I'd finger play with the threads during the tense parts. I love a good mystery. Thank for the new reading list.

Alice said...

What a handsome journal, love that x-stitch spine, and thanks for all the noir links. Now that the nights are getting longer, I'm ready for some good noir.

Rachel Biel said...

Great journal! Just hopped over here to check on you since we haven't talked in so long... Love what you have been doing and am excited about the author list. I pretty much only have time for audio now, but always have something going so will look to see if any of the Nordic guys are carried by my library. Fun!