Saturday, November 24, 2012

There's Always a Story

This brand new book is bound with the Lightning Bolt stitch (from Keith Smith's Non-Adhesive Binding Volume 2).  I designed the book specifically to showcase the binding stitch.

Isn't this upholstery fabric the best?  When I ordered my pea green couch eight years ago, I had two throw pillows made in this fabric.  And bought an extra yard for who knew what.  I still have the couch and the pillows, of course, and now I've got a book to match!

Almost all the pages are recycled.  Probably 60 percent have been stitched somewhere, horizontally or vertically.
 
And at least half the pages have fold outs.  Meaning the book is a bit thicker at the edges than it is at the spine.  Oh, and there are just two fat signatures inside.  Finished book is 7.25 inches square.

Sale happening this weekend in my Textile Shop!  Visit the shop for details.  Thanks!

10 comments:

Jeannie said...

Gorgeous!!! I love the fabric and the stitch really is eye catching. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

MegWeaves said...

It IS a nice fabric, Connie, and the book.

jenclair said...

A friend sent me some upholstery samples, large ones, from a furniture store several years ago. I've used them for a number of things, but I think your idea is the best!

Beautiful book, Connie!

Irene said...

That's a great book, Connie and I really like the cover and the fact that it has folded pages. What a neat idea. You must have such a good time making these. I wish I new how and I's make them too. Is there an easy tutorial?

ileneharris said...

Oh, yes - I did see this one. That lightning stitch is very different. Was it hard to do? I really like the idea of stitching on the pages. Mary Beth Shaw's class?

I'm so happy to see you Zoom with Book Arts!

ileneharris said...

Oh, yes - I did see this one. That lightning stitch is very different. Was it hard to do? I really like the idea of stitching on the pages. Mary Beth Shaw's class?

I'm so happy to see you Zoom with Book Arts!

Jan said...

That is a stunning stitch on a stunning book. Love the inside too. Yum.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

This is fantastic! Just for future info--if you don't want the front edge to be bigger than the spine, there are ways of compensating for the thickness to make it more even. It all depends on what you're aiming for. But I think this looks wonderful--wouldn't change a thing!

maggi21.com said...

Fantastic book. Love the stitched spine and the fabric.

Sandy said...

That's a fantastic book.