Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Life's Short ~ Use Your Best Stuff

A variety of things to share this morning.  First, this ecodyed hand-pieced quilt I'm working on, covering it completely with running stitches.  I'm about three-quarters finished; I've been working on it for a couple of weeks.  Finished size will be 23 x 26 inches.


These are photo cards that I'm creating to use in my Shabby Journal.  Since I don't get out and about much these days, I've been enjoying using images of the books and journals I'm making.  I print the image on matte photo paper, then cut it down a bit, place it on a piece of cardstock (pattern facing to the back), add a few other paper doodads then stitch it all together.  Some have room to write on.  All will be slipped into the numerous pockets and flaps in the journal.  I'm actually thinking about making a book of wonky cards like these.

Finally, about using your best supplies ~ I haven't knit in nearly a year so it was time to start a new project.  I'm making a wide scarf out of my most favorite hand dyed, hand spun silk hankie yarn.  The color is a bit more pea green than it appears in the photo, with flecks of aqua and yellow orange.  One of several batches of yarn I spun in a tropical colorway.

I'm slow knitting, savoring every stitch I knit with as much joy as each yard I spun several years ago.  The yarn is so fine that in some sections a single ply resembles spider silk.  I'm using two two-ply strands together on size 4 needles.  I'm really enjoying this.

12 comments:

susan christensen said...

Beautiful, fun and inspiring work, Connie! And I so agree - life is short, so use your BEST STUFF!!! xxoo, and happy thanksgiving, sus

jenclair said...

I love your stitched ecodyed quilt! My favorite stitching of all, the running stitch.

The knitting looks so lovely; the color, the texture are wonderful.

Gerrie said...

Gorgeous stuff on your blog today. Yum, yum!!

Margaret Cooter said...

Love the colours of the quilt - like a stormy winter sky that suddenly decides to clear up, just before sundown.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Connie. Glad I stopped by to see that amazing quilt. LUV the stitching on it (besides the gorgeous fabric). I really like your idea of stitching on cards for your journal. And that yarn (and future scarf) is to die for! Have a happy Thanksgiving!
best, nadia

Sandy said...

Good plan to use the special things-I'm trying to. The scarf will be wonderful.

Els said...

I would love to have the eco-stitched piece in my hands, to feeeeeeel all those stitches !
Great green knitting !

MegWeaves said...

Luuuuuuuv your book photo cards. I have been thinking that it's high time I got stuck into my silk stash last month. Still a bit intimidated by it, but hope to be weaving with them after I get back from my Japan trip. Glad to be in great company!

Jeannie said...

There is so much eye candy on this post, I don't know which to gush about first! LOL! Your scarf is gorgeous and I bet it is heavenly to knit and touch. The quilt. Oh my! I love it. The colors, the stitching, the cloth, all combined into a piece I would love to touch. Yep, I am all about touchy feely. I am a tactile person and it could be the ugliest color on earth, but if it felt like rabbit fur, I would love it. Your cards are fantastic and a great idea. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving and a beautiful weekend doing what you love. xo

Jan Ward said...

Making from start to finish is so much fun, isn't it? Lovely work.
Jan

tiedyejudy said...

I love all of what you posted today! I think I envy you the knitting though... to have hand dyed and spun the yarn, and now get to use it for a scarf... that's awesome! I'm a very rudimentary knitter and don't have the skills that you do, so I look forward to seeing the finished project and hope you enjoy every stitch!

Jan said...

A bounty of beauty here. Love the quilt and quilting, and yes, would love to touch it, as I would the knitting. Sigh. I am a rudimentary knitter like tiedyejudy, but I love the process, the sound of the needles, and the feel of the yarn. Your yarn here looks soooo fabulous. Sigh. Again.