Friday, November 30, 2012

It's A Mystery

I wove and stitched this test piece early this week, with strips from the edges of collages that I've been using in books.  Not sure what this will become, if anything.  But it's inspiring pinned to my design wall.

Yesterday I completed the first step on my project for Fiberactions' 10+ color challenge...and I love what I've come up with.  I'm going to let things marinate for a few days before moving on with it.

Re: designing projects, I've never been one to spend a lot of time noodling things out in a sketchbook.  I'm such a visual, that I'll preview different scenarios and solutions in my head before deciding how to proceed.  This has always worked for me.  I'm not good at translating what I see in my mind through my hand onto paper.  Which is another reason I don't draw. 

We're in the midst of a huge rainstorm on the North Coast -- I don't think it stopped raining for more than a few minutes yesterday before pouring again.  I need to go outside and check on my storage shed...it leaks, although not from the ceiling like you'd imagine.  No, this Rubbermade thing leaks from the floor, go figure.  And it's not even standing right on the ground.  I've had every crack and join on the roof sealed and in the past taped up vertical door jambs etc., and still, it leaks.  It gathers pools of water in two places.  Beyond siphoning out the water between rains with a turkey baster, I've got everything of value OFF the floor, and to the extent possible everything standing on the floor is plastic or rubbermade.  I've got my own Mystery Spot. 

9 comments:

jenclair said...

I really like your woven/stitched collage, Connie. Looks like it should be framed.

Sandy said...

That's so cool. It has more than 10 colors. I don't draw either, get an idea and start putting things on my design wall.

Jeannie said...

I really like the woven piece. Like Jen said, it would be lovely framed. You stated so well how I work. I have long admired those who keep beautiful journals of ideas and notes. I have tried, but once I have the design worked out on paper, why bother doing it in cloth? It is the designing process that I like. I have never liked to draw, but after Melanie's class on stencil making and journaling, I am a convert. I found that I enjoyed it. I need to practice more so it becomes more fluid, but I don't dread it like I used to. We had sunshine for 2 hours today. It was like someone lifted a veil on my mood. It has been so gray and dreary. Odd about the storage shed. Sounds like you need to play CSI to figure out the source. LOL! Have a wonderful weekend cocooned in your bungalow. xo

Margaret Cooter said...

ah, those jagged flashes of white ... in the words of the Leonard Cohen song, "that's how the light gets in"....

Sandra Rude said...

Stay dry up there, Connie! We're getting the same storm, but with less rainfall than you get. Take care!

MegWeaves said...

What Margaret said. It's amazing how those little white bits do. And what Sandra said. Stay dry, you and your stuff.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

I like the weaving too!

I hope your Mystery Spot didn't gush forth too much...?

Sweetpea said...

I too, am so in love with weaving at the moment so I think I understand your drive towards this, Connie. Not the *traditional* kind of weaving ... something more exploratory (for lack of a better word).

GOOD stuff ... with a lot to say.

maggi21.com said...

Lovely piece of weaving. Hope that you don't suffer too much damage from the leak.