Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cloth and Paper

"Everybody" is ecodyeing paper these days.  Despite the fact that I usually prefer not to do things everybody else is doing, the desire to try it was just too strong for me to resist, given that I've got all the materials at hand.

These are the results of my first attempt.  The first four paper images are of 140# watercolor paper.  I love how the paper absorbed color and how intact the paper is after being steeped for over two hours.  The leaf prints themselves, though, leave a lot to be desired.  Mostly these are rust prints. 




The last image on paper is 80# drawing paper, which also did remarkably well under the circumstances although the finished paper is wavier than the heavier paper.  The prints are rose leaves without rusty objects.

And the fabric in the first image is two small pieces of silk broadcloth (from a recycled dress) and eucalyptus leaves on a rusty pipe.  The golden color is especially pleasing to me ~ possibly it derives from the tea bags I threw in the steeping pot.  Or possibly it's that the fabric is silk whereas the paper isn't.  Or maybe it's because the silk was mordanted even though it doesn't need to be, or maybe because the mordanting was done nearly a year ago.  So many variables.

But I was inspired enough (and my stash of ecodyed fabric has dwindled enough) to cook up a huge pot of fabric bundles yesterday, which are now sitting in a covered place outside to dry -- although it is pouring rain at the moment.  I'll post photos of these next week sometime.

11 comments:

Judy said...

They're all so lovely Connie! I'm glad you gave it a whirl and had some pleasing results!

xxoo

jenclair said...

Beautiful results! I wonder what projects they will transform.

Jeannie said...

Beautiful results. I have been resisting, but raking all those beautiful leaves got me thinking last night about throwing some onto some paper. Perhaps this weekend I'll give into my curiosity.

deanna7trees said...

oh i'm so tempted to try it. beautiful results.

Vickie said...

do you have Madronne trees in Humbolt? they would make a lovely dye I bet. if I head south from the coast anytime I might gather some up and try. I am tempted to try blackberry or elderberry.

Betty Eilat said...

Love what you did!
There's no point on resisting doing it, as it leads each person to a different path. (am I trying to justify my paper trials??)
Awaiting the bundles opening...
Have a great weekend :)

Terrie said...

Amazing prints especially the first image is stunning. That's what I always want to achieve but never have. Your works are inspiring.

yvette cals said...

" everybody"

but it's so so beautiful

Sandy said...

What fun and great results. I know what you mean about not wanting to do what everyone is doing, but in this case, good choice.

Sandra Rude said...

Beautiful results! Doesn't matter if it's paper or fabric - the patterning is superb.

Jan said...

I LOVE the leaves in the first image--so ethereal. Fabulous work!

xo,
Jan