Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Before the Fall

Before the Fall ~ 23 x 26 inches
I finished Before the Fall last night.  The various ecodyed fabrics are all from the same vintage linen tablecloth.  There were oak and eucalyptus leaves in the bundles, along with rust and copper, and possibly some alum in the cooking water.

I love the way the all-over running stitch looks and the texture it gives to quilted cloth.  And then there's that mokume thing that happens to the fabric, running perpendicular to the lines of stitching, giving the quilt a shibori-like finish.  I used a single strand of embroidery floss throughout.


I'm in the development phase of Fiberactions' January 15 challenge, which is to use at least 10 colors in a project.  Planning to do something unusual with scraps of my own surface designed fabrics. 

And I have several book projects waiting in the wings.  And nowhere else I need to be for at least ten days.

13 comments:

Ayn said...

Really beautiful piece!

Sandra Rude said...

Beautiful cloth, lovely quilt!

Ginny Huber said...

Lovely! And the variations of color and texture come through even in the photo..hard to capture often in a photo. Will be interested in seeing your Challenge piece with the 10 colors. .

Deb Levy said...

A very pretty and textural piece Connie!

jenclair said...

This is an awesome quilt, Connie. Love the way you have arranged the pieces and the way the yellow brightens the grey!

Jeannie said...

Connie, this is gorgeous. I love the stitching. It is like looking at something underwater where the ripples skew the image just a little, but you can still see what is below. Lovely!

Alice said...

Great piece! The stitching is beautiful. It's all beautiful.

Betty Eilat said...

Connie this is a lovely piece, much to look at

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Enjoy the coming days with all your creativity. This piece is spectacular, Connie!

Sweetpea said...

All those tiny stitches just make me swoon...
beautifully done!
(I hope folks are clicking to enlarge these photos ~ totally scrumptious!!)

susan christensen said...

really, the running stitches! Yes! I would love to be able to spend time with this piece in person, Connie Rose - very rich. -su

Karen M said...

I'm visiting your blog for the first time after reading an article on you in the 'Art Quilting Studio Winter2013' magazine. Such lovely work- I'll be coming back!

tiedyejudy said...

I really love the ecodyeing you have done! And your hand stitching just makes this piece so lovely! Enjoy your next challenge! I can't wait to see the fabrics you use...