Thursday, May 31, 2012

This Week's Challenge Project

I experimented this week with making my first book, a portfolio actually.  I'd seen some easy books with quilted bodies and pages simply sewn in and decided to give it a go.

I simply used batting between the inside and outside fabrics, although I will use Timtex or something similar between the fabric next time.  The bottom pocket, which runs across from front to back, is also batted.  The small pocket at top on the front isn't.

The first inside photo is with the original papers I'd sewn in.  I used a variety of old and/or handmade papers.

But then I decided to actually use this portfolio when I attend NorBAG meetings and want to take notes.  So I removed the original pages and stitched in grid and other paper that I can write on.


I'm slowly making progress on a few other mixed media projects.  I finally began art journaling, something I've been wanting to do for 5 or 6 years, and I am enjoying the process.  I'm working in a spiral bound journal. 

I'm also taking an online class on altering books for art journaling, given by Tammy Garcia at Daisy Yellow Art.  Exploring numerous ways to build journal pages.  This, in addition to working in several wonderful collage and journal books I have, the best of the bunch by Jane Davies.

Perhaps you can help me with something ~ I'm looking for foreign-language newspapers to use in my artwork.  Humboldt County, CA might be the only place on the planet where you cannot get a foreign-language newspaper anymore.  The Humboldt State University Library does not carry them, the small independent booksellers no longer carry them.  Borders did, I think, but they're long gone.  If you have access to newspapers in any of the following languages (or others not listed) and you'd be amenable to sending me ONE issue, I would be very grateful.

I'm looking for papers in...Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic and Spanish.  Thank You!

9 comments:

Sandy said...

It's a great book. Watch out, bookmaking is addictive. For foreign papers, you might have to go to Amazon or ebay. I'll check my stash of papers. if I remember.

Jeannie said...

I love your portfolio, Connie. I don't have access to foreign papers either, but I can get foreign books in my library book store. Would you like me to get you some? I know they have some Oriental, Spanish, one of the Russian languages. Let me know and I'll pop them in the mail.

Meg in Nelson said...

Will get in touch with Mom about Japanese. :-)

Meg in Nelson said...

Goodness me, the attention span of a tiny dead bird! I love the portfolio, Connie! I do!!! And I'd love to see your journal pages, when you are ready to show us, too. I love looking at other people's journals, but I can't do that. The "layers" thing appears beyond my patience. OR I overwork it...

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I was going to say that my mother in law used to subscribe to a Japanese newspaper, but it looks like you have that one covered. If your interested in some colorful Japanese grocery store ads, we get the Marukai ads which come in a combination of Japanese and English. Let me know and I will be happy to send. I love the portfolio cover. That middle photo with all the jounal papers is awesome!

Maggi said...

The portfolio is fantastic and such a good idea to change the papers so that you can use it. You will just have to make yourself another one now though as the pages you used originally look superb.

Meg Fowler said...

Connie, I have tons of foreign language book pages, not neswpapers, but I will be happy to send you a variety package of what I have ... French, Greek, Spanish, German, etc. I have books of literatue, plays, music, school books, dictionaries ... all kinds of stuff ... all old. Email me your address (RaccoonLdy@aol.com) and I'll pop them in the mail.

Paper Chipmunk (aka Ellen) said...

What a great notebook! I'm so glad you joined Norbag. It startled me to hear that the library no longer has foreign language papers, although of course in this day and age what else would I expect? I used to spend quite a bit of time reading the papers there. . . makes me feel a bit like a dinosaur. I don't have newspapers, but I've been cleaning out my studio and found some strips of newspaper-like paper that has some writing on it that looks possibly of Tibetan (?) origin. I also have a French language old paperback or two falling apart you'd be welcome to share, if you're interested. Are you going to be at either of the Norbag workshop sessions this month?

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Love the notebook and am very excited to see more mixed media pieces. Happy to see the post has generated lots of comment.