Friday, May 18, 2012

This Week's 9x12

This week's journal quilt was more experimental than the last few.  I started with a background of mostly fabric, with newspaper in the upper left quadrant...then quilted it...then sealed it with acrylic medium.  Then added a small piece of CitraSolv'd paper over the newspaper...then dry brushed several layers of acrylic paints over the whole piece.  Then stamped with acrylic.

Glad I tried this, but not sure I'd do it again.  It was the sealing with medium part that I liked the least.  I'll try nearly anything at least once!

7 comments:

Sweetpea said...

Well, it looks COOL nonetheless :>]] I remember that medium from way back in art school daze...didn't like it much then...not sure I'd like it at all on textiles. You are brave ~ and that is always good!

Have a lovely weekend.
Christi

Jeannie said...

I love the layers of textures in this. Challenging yourself to try something is hard but so very good for you. I wish we could create a medium that wasn't so plastic like for textiles. Wishing you a fun filled and joyful weekend. xo

Sandra Rude said...

I like it, but I understand your not wanting to work with the medium. Isn'tt there another substance that would work?

Judy said...

MMMMM: very nice Connie!

xo

tiedyejudy said...

I have seen the medium used before (Deb Lacativa comes to mind), but have not tried it myself. I like that you can seal the surface, but would not like the stiffness that it causes on the fiber. But I do think your piece is an interesting mix of techniques, and it was worth it to experiment. Do you use a similar medium on your collages?

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Even though you may not have liked the process, I have to say that love the results!

jenclair said...

I'm with Valerie...the results are worth it, even if it is a one-off kind of process. I like to try new things, too, but they don't always suit my temperament. Which doesn't mean that the exploration and experimentation doesn't have value in and of itself!