Thursday, May 3, 2012

Altar to Art

My new mixed media studio!  And what it looked like before, below.  The table is six feet long although it looks shorter in the photo.  I still have little-used supplies stored behind the drawers, which roll out of the way for convenience.  And I'll be adding a shallow shelving unit between the table legs on the left. 

My work spaces always fashion themselves into altars ~ about every flat surface in my place is an alter of some sort, which is just fine with me.

The pennant shaped piece at the top of the first photo is a prayer flag, an early piece of surface designed cloth not useable for much else.  Embroidered on it is my recent catchphrase ~ Home Is Where The Art Is.

My new mixed media and book making books are in the post.  This week I'm putting finishing touches on the Fiberactions quilts, making two dozen new fabric collage textile postcards some of which will be going off to a show in Chico, CA middle of this month (along with two recent quilts), and I do plan to have a weekly journal quilt (my 9x12 series) to show as well.

So, on with the day!

10 comments:

jenclair said...

You've been busy! Your new mixed media center looks great, but I know it took some time for it to come together.

I'm the same way with flat surfaces, including my ironing board, which has to be cleared off in order for me to use it. I like that you consider your surfaces altars, by chance or design, that is a perfect title for them!

Jeannie said...

My husband claims that I want to turn our home into a naturalist's museum. There are rocks, bones, feathers, pods on all the flat surfaces and in bowls and baskets. So, I embrace the altar maker in me and let the dust settle where it may. LOL! Your creative area looks so inviting. You have inspired me to muck out my area and see if I can reclaim some space from the chaos. Have a great day! (What books did you order???)

Nienke said...

Best place in town, hope that you will spend as many time as you wish around your ' altar'

Els said...

You are really organized now Connie, with those drawers on weels ... (and behind it there's still a "mess" ;-) ??)
When I'm busy being creative, the mess is getting bigger and bigger by the day. And then all of a sudden I make nice stacks again (and can't find with what I was working :-( ....)

Irene said...

Wow, what a difference that reorganization made. It looks great. I hope everything is convenient to get to. It will help you create good work, I hope. Not that you already not do that. Even better work maybe. :o)

Meg in Nelson said...

So nice! I've shied away from drawers-on-rollers because my stash/design room is carpeted, but I could move them out of the way if I want to sit at the desk and work, couldn't I?

deanna7trees said...

great organization job. every time i organize, i lose things, but i do it when things get too messy.

Rayna said...

Goodness, how neat. Every so often, when I clean up, my studio looks like that. For about 5 minutes. May you make beautiful art there!

neki desu said...

the before photo looks organized and tidy to me.the after is tidiness " in person" enjoy your space

tiedyejudy said...

I love the shelving! Brings back fond memories, and makes me wonder why I don't have some on my large work table! Trouble is, it's so deep and high, I wouldn't be able to reach anything on it! Great job reworking your art space, and I love your Catchphrase! Happy creating...