Friday, February 10, 2012

Taking the time...

My post earlier this week was so revealing of my long-held tendency to focus on results rather than process.  Since getting the message, I've slowed back down again, and perhaps newly.

For years I never had the time to do much more than graze the surface of some techniques.  Now I've got all the time in the world.  There's a lot I've wanted to explore with shibori...now I am.  And my internal excitement is building.

I'm wrapping poles and doing a lot of hand stitching in preparation for dyeing later.  My current focus is on manipulating fabric.  That's it.  Back to basics.

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Jeannie said...

Ah, the stitched resist, one of my favorites. It takes forever to get the stitches in, but the results are so worth it. Wishing you a colorful weekend.

Sandra Rude said...

In my brief forays into stitched shibori, I found that machine stitching was much faster, but I liked the more organic look I got with hand stitching. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these new pieces.

Marybeth said...

Please keep posting the details of what you are doing so we (I) can learn as you go along. The basement is done and I am moving in! Then the laundry room will be ready to dye and paint fabric...can't wait!! Mb

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Very exciting. I also like the look of the manipulation for its own sake.

The Idaho Beauty said...

This post makes me smile. So glad you have found this place of freedom and excitement. I've always been a process person - it's where most of the enjoyment of quilting is for me. Looking forward to your results - always beautiful no matter what you think!

jenclair said...

I, too, am a process person, but then, my finished products are nothing like yours! If my pieces were as lovely as yours are, I be more interested the product.

Like Marybeth, I'm hoping to learn more about shibori. I've done a couple of stitch gathered pieces, but my results are less than outstanding. I have a lot to learn about the dyeing process, too.

Can't wait to see how your pieces turn out. Watching process and seeing results is such fun!

Valerie Kamikubo said...

I'm so glad that you are enjoying the process, Connie. The texture on the shibori prep in the second photo alone is worth it!

Betty Eilat said...

Connie, you are building my internal excitement as well...
I'm about to make my first baby step in shibori.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Claire said...

Love this.