Thursday, February 23, 2012

Something New

A piece of mokume stitched cotton dyed earlier this week.  I dyed this standing up in a jar with some pole wrapped pieces.  The pole wrapped fabrics were too thick for the dyes to penetrate much beyond the top layer, despite my batching the jar for nearly 20 hours.  That's okay, though, this was yet another experiment (aren't they all?) and I'll be moving on to low water dyeing next.

But I do love this mokume.  The results are SO worth the effort to stitch the fabric by hand.

Tonight I'm speaking to the local Eel Valley Quilt Guild, doing a presentation on using hand surface designed fabrics for art quilting to a group of mostly traditional quilters.  Should be a blast.  I'll have many fabric bundles available for sale there, and what doesn't sell I'll list in the shop over the weekend.

10 comments:

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Oh, Connie! This piece is so beautiful! Have fun at your presentation tonight.

Jeannie said...

Gorgeous, Connie! I hope your talk knocks them over and you sell all your bundles!

jenclair said...

Gorgeous! I love the colors! Enjoy your presentation--you should have an entranced audience.

Sandra Rude said...

That mokume piece is really wonderful. You're inspiring me to do more shibori myself...

Els said...

I'm in awe when I see the result of all your meticulous stitching : a true wonder, Connie !!

susan christensen said...

Very much worth the stitching time, I would say! Very fine, Connie. -sus

Lorraine@creativedaily said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS result! I can see this with stitching and beads on the surface....

Colleen Kole said...

I had just pulled out a piece of fabric and wanted to do mokume again-you inspired me to keep going. Beautiful.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I love the results...I will have to play with this process...it is intriguing!!! Peace, Mary helen Fernandez Stewart

Morna said...

Wow, Connie! This is gorgeous.