Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Random Acts of Dye & Discharge

Dyeing continues, and yesterday I did a bit of discharge as well.  The first two pieces are cottons processed in a jar of various dye colors.

The third piece is black cotton flannel, discharged.  It has a kind of pale aqua tone that's very appealing.

The last two pieces are silks.  The first one was dyed a few years ago, discharged yesterday.

And the last piece was underdyed a few days ago and discharged yesterday.

With all the dyeing and discharging I've done over the last several years, I confess that in my mind I am always seeking "rules," as it were -- in an effort to have some sense of control over the outcome now and in future.  For example,  Which fabric works best with each different technique or process?  Which fabrics don't work well with one process or another?  And by "work well" I mean get the result I'd hoped for.  It's also in large part due to my investigative mind that I seek answers -- I need to know how and why things work to create order out of chaos.

I think as the years go by and I continue on with the work, some of those rules are becoming obvious through experience.  And I need to qualify that as MY experience.  Because everybody seems to have different results often with the exact same fabric and dye.  So I can't say that what I'm finding would necessarily be so for someone else. 

I suppose this whole train of thought is just more of my seeming to like others' work more than my own, dyeing included.  Sometimes that fact immobilizes me.  Lately, I'm glad to say, it's making me want to carry on, to do more, to keep working it. 

You win some, you lose some.  Some finished fabrics are spectacular; some aren't so hot.  Just like life itself.

11 comments:

Jeannie said...

Beautiful fabrics! I like what you said about figuring out what works well for you. I have read the books, taken notes, etc., but when I dye, I play. I think it is because I always wanted a chemistry set as a kid (but girls didn't get those! LOL!) I start out following my notes and then my mind shifts to "what if...". Sometimes there are uglies, and sometimes there are wows, but through the whole process, I had fun. Have fun today.

Maggi said...

Lovely effects and I particularly like the first two. Whatever books I read about dyeing always seem to say something different so I am happy to just experiment and find out what works for me as well. Some failures along the way, but that's all part of the learning experience.

Sandra Rude said...

They are all wonderful pieces, but the first two are my absolute faves. Especially #1. The colors just pop in the most exciting way!

Julie said...

Well done for keeping going Connie, you have some beautiful fabric here. I enjoy dyeing too but never worry about repeating any effect. I love the randomness of the results I get and am fascinated by the way water and sometimes ice and snow carry colour through the fabric. Nothing is ever wrong or ugly, it's just an opportunity for more play :-)

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oo, oo, oo - these are fabulous. Especially like the depth in the first one. The silks are pretty spectacular too.

jenclair said...

Beautiful fabric! The first one looks like stained glass and has such a glow to it!

KatrinaKB said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog - I was searching for bloggers talking about dying fabrics and voila! Anyway, I love that first piece! Beautiful!!

Els said...

Aaaah that blue/purple with the other colours in that first photo ....NICE !
I very much love the zigzag striped pattern on the last photos. You really know how to do your dye-job

susan christensen said...

The fact that we get such different results from each other give the same fabric and dye types is such amazing alchemy! Love this array, Connie. -sus

neki desu said...

for me it's the last one. your post presented some points worth pondering.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

They are not only beautiful but also interesting.