Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Eco Quilting

I began stitching leaves yesterday on my latest eco dyed quilt.  I quite love doing this, watching the printed leaves take on depth, coming back to life in their own way.

Over the weekend I handstitched together the fabric elements for three more eco dyed quilts.  The image above is one of those three.  And there are more on the design wall.  Not sure when I'll get to quilting all these, but step by step I'm getting them ready to go.

And yesterday I walnut dyed this stack of fabric to back the eco quilts.  The fabrics were lightly manipulated before steeping for 2+ hours and cooling in the pot.  This is something I've wanted to do for months, and now it's done!

15 comments:

Quilt or Dye said...

Lovely material and stitching, Connie. Walnut trees don't grow in Maine so I had my mother ship me some walnut husks so I could do some walnut dyeing last fall.

jenclair said...

I love the leaves--of course! I always love the leaves, but that touch of red is wonderful.

The fabrics you've stitched together have such interest with the greys and rust, the "Rorschach" design, and the string marks. Beautiful. And, mmmmm, for the walnut dyed fabric!

Jan said...

That walnut-dyed fabric is yummy! And I love the wonderful stitching on the wonderful fabric.

Claire said...

This is beautiful work Connie.

Martine said...

lovely..............

susan christensen said...

Such beautiful results, Connie. How rewarding! -sus

Terrie said...

Beautiful effect of stitches of leaves. They look outstanding. A touch of nature.

Sandra Rude said...

Love those oak leaves! And the walnut-dyed fabric is going to make wonderful quilt backs - the patterning is almost strong enough for fronts.

Maggi said...

The walnut dye is a great idea for backing the quilts, although could be a star player in itself. Love the red stitching on the oak leaves

Emma said...

What beautiful marks both you & the dye have made! Lovely.

Jeannie said...

Gorgeous cloth and stitching, Connie. The touch of red is perfect. I love the soft brown from the walnuts. Enjoy your time stitching.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Very cool.

Judy said...

The walnut dyeing is fabulous!!!

xo

stitchinglife said...

Looking great. I really like the tiny red footprints.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

Your daily devotion to collage really pays off when I look at that second photo. It's a wonderful composition, Connie.