Wednesday, February 15, 2012

All in a Week's Work

Doesn't look like much, does it?  This is a week's worth of winding and binding.  That handstitched mokume takes a LONG time.  The dark green piece, just to the left of the bigger white pole on the right, is handwoven.  Until recently it was a piece of woven shiboried art cloth, woven of silk and tencel.  Soon it will be discharged.  That piece alone took me two days to stitch and gather.

The light khaki colored piece in the middle is another handwoven fabric that already had shibori threads woven into it.  It's been on my shelf since it was woven, maybe four years ago.

I took a break yesterday, to prepare for quilting a second challenge piece for Fiberactions' March 15 reveal.  But it's back to shibori prep for a while.  It's quite a meditative process, and I'm enjoying building an inventory of fabrics to be shiboried in the near future.  It's called delaying gratification.

8 comments:

Jeannie said...

I applaud your efforts! I did some stitched resists last summer and the stitching and un-stitching is so labor intensive. The results are so worth it!

Alice said...

I love this photo, with its promise of things to come.

Valerie Kamikubo said...

The meditative process that goes along with stitching is my favorite thing about hand sewing. It becomes almost prayer-like. I agree with Alice... wonderful promises of things to come here!

Diane Wright said...

It's a very interesting process. I will be looking forward to the reveal. Speaking of reveals, I've not even begun on Fiberactions but we will be home next Monday. Now if inspiration will strike, I can begin. Next time...we'll do a wander up the coast...maybe a rendezvous.

tremblinginsidethecocoon said...

Looks like you've done a heap of stitching! You have so much more patience than I!
Can hardly wait to see the results!
Julie

P.S. the wordpress blog is yet to become anything..... hopefully it will blossom this Spring!

jenclair said...

That is a lot of work for a week. Promises to be revealed.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

It may not 'look' like a lot but it sure is heaps. Beeg must be very interested in all those long pieces of thread. Looking forward to seeing the end results. Funny but I really like the look of the pieces as they are or before they are rolled up.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Connie. Considering the beauty of your previous dyed pieces, I'm betting these will be spectacular. And then, good things take time, n'est-ce pas? You've got me rather excited about it!
best, nadia