Monday, August 29, 2011

Botany

I'm getting into a bit of a rhythm with eco dyeing now.  I have a continuous cellulose-fabric premordant operation happening.  I'm hot processing bundles a couple times a week, trying different mordant schemes (pre- and post) and using a selection of different plant materials and fabrics.  I'm especially loving eucalyptus stuff.

All of these pieces except the last one are eucalyptus prints.  I've got two species growing nearby that I have easy access to, and looking for others whenever I can.

These four samples are silk fabrics.




The last piece is rayon with one or another maple-type leaves growing in my neighborhood.

I've been enjoying the late summer sun when we have it.  Also getting close to finished on current Fiberactions' challenge quilt.  And otherwise laying low, under the radar as much as possible.

11 comments:

Diana Angus said...

Lucky you; you live close to eucalyptus trees!

Sandra Rude said...

I love these, especially the first two. Eucalyptus trees are so messy, it's nice to see a good way to use 'em! Have you tried wrapping the eucalyptus nuts/seedpods?

Nora said...

I love the second one. It's very pretty and I like the way it shows the pattern of the leaves. I love to see the results of your experiments. There are always some successes.

Deb Levy said...

Very nice results Connie. And I love that it is so organic in nature and visually.

stitchinglife.com said...

These are so beautiful.

Chloe said...

These are lovely!

Els said...

I think the mordanting is essential!

Sandy said...

I'm all for environmentally friendly processes. Your results are nice.

susan christensen said...

As always I am impressed by your diligence, Connie! And see such a similarity between these beautiful eco-dyes and your lovely collages. Carry on! -sus

Claire said...

What beautiful results.

Marsha Bray said...

I so enjoyed seeing your samples and being inspired by your quilts. It was so kind of you to let Beth and I visit. I'm thrilled with my small quilt I brought home. It will find a place in my sewing room and inspire me!
Thank you so much!
Marsha Bray