Monday, November 8, 2010

Far Afield

I've been so busy with this and that -- sorting and sifting, tossing, selling, paring down, organizing, reconfiguring -- that I've done virtually no art in the last week.  A few collages, but nothing else.  Nor do I have much to show for the last month.

This is rather perpetually how my life has been -- both my personal life and my art life.  I'll get just so far along in one medium or another, one home or another, one job or scenario or another, and then the universe shuffles the cards and things look altogether different when the dust settles.  I'm hoping the time will come, soon, when I'll feel re-inspired to get back into surface design and quilting.  The farther away I get, though, the harder it is to get my head around coming back. 

It's been really challenging for me to feel a sense of growth and development in a particular medium over time, because things have changed so frequently for me.  I'm not complaining, though...I feel grateful that I've been able to cover as much ground as I have in so many textile media throughout the years.  I just don't feel as though I've gotten really good at any one thing, and there is some regret in that.  Well, that's not totally true -- I got really good at spinning, but then my hands gave out.  But overall, I guess I'm more of a Jill of all trades than a true master at anything.

But maybe the issue in artmaking isn't about becoming a master at all.  Perhaps it's about trying a lot of things, experimenting with a lot of different media to find out what one likes best, then combining all those acquired skills and familiarity with materials into something new and different.  In other words, finding one's creative voice. In which case, I suspect I'm probably right where I should be in my own journey as an artist.

11 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

Hear, hear! Finding and following one's creative voice is the whole point of the journey. You're on the right track, because that's where you are right now.

Gerrie said...

Hey, sweetie! Was thinking about you today. Now, I know why. Fallow periods come our way. Who knows why? Time to reflect. Dip your toe into some new waters. Rest. Love yourself. You are too talented to walk away. Hangeth in. XXOO

Jan said...

Sandra and Gerrie have said it for me. I can only add that I love your photograph.

;-)
xxoo

tiedyejudy said...

For every season... we all need time to re-charge, and also time to tend to our non-creative needs. As for being a 'master', I have always felt that I needed to follow my creative muse, wherever she took me, and my main reason for doing anything creative is because it gives me joy! I'm not a master of anything either, but I am sure enjoying the journey... meanwhile, I hope you are too, whatever you may be doing each day!
And I love your photo, too... just another way for you to follow your muse, right? ;->

Karen M said...

You've had a lot of change lately. Try not to be too hard on yourself, your brain may need some adjustment time. Maybe don't worry about making ART, just play with some of your favorite things. You might find that 10 minutes of play leads you into something.

And maybe techniques are like material things in a way. We gather a bunch, learn skills like amassing collections, but then at some point, we need to pare down, release things, and keep what really matters. Perhaps you are becoming a fine distillation of your former self.

artymess said...

Don't chase it too much .....creativity comes when it's ready ....and we all have cycles that's the way of life...just let the dust settle ....one door shuts another one opens .....talking in cliches but its true !!!......Looking forward to your next incarnation of creative genius ...xx

Meg in Nelson said...

Maybe you're still apprenticing, which is not to say that in other people's eyes you have achieved high marks, but maybe the universe has other plans for you that's quite different from anybody else's. Isn't that fun?!

jackie said...

Thanks for your comments, yes experimenting with wax and paper seems like endless fun. Don't have too much angst,we all have those times; does it matter really, have some creative fun and remember how lucky we are to have this gift.

Tricks said...

Why Worry, I remember after studying for my degree for three years in fine art textiles I took on a studio quite cheaply, the rent was on £10 per month and I spent nearly 6 months looking out of the window. I just couldn't decide which medium I wanted to work with or what I wanted to do. There was just too much on offer on the course i studied. I did eventually see the light and realise where my favour lay. I still have months of no creativity but that isn't completely true, I find myself creative in all manner of things, even my garden I design. Being an artist is who you are not what you do. Hope this helps I hope your muse directs you well in the future Best Wishes Tricia

The Idaho Beauty said...

That last paragraph - you have got it exactly right. And I love the photo.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Im a typical Jill so have made the journey my 'thing'. It would be nice to find 'me' though. Thanks for sharing the journey it is very enlightening and brave.