Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Make Mine Mocha

Today is reveal day for Fiberactions "Stretch" challenge.  Click on the link to see other group members' interpretations of the word.  Since I've been working a lot recently with digital images on fabric, I decided to stretch the boundaries of what I could do with a single digital image.

My challenge quilt is made of small pieces of natural fiber fabrics (cotton, linen, denim, raw silk) that were fused onto sheets of freezer paper and run through my digital printer.  Before printing, the fabric pieces had been soaked/dyed in a coffee/tea blend, dried, then soaked in Bubble Jet Set and dried.  After printing, I tore the pieces off the sheets and rearranged them on the foundation cloth.   

The original printed image is a shot I took of discharged fabric, which I manipulated in Photoshop Elements, including adding a sepia filter.  The foundation and backing fabric were hand dyed recently.  Yesterday I mounted the quilt on a stretched canvas frame that I painted to go with the quilt. 

This is the first of my Fiberactions challenge quilts to be framed, but I'm thinking I'll do likewise with the previous quilts.  Each one is so unique, that I think they'll make a wonderful grouping when they're all finished, early in 2012.

4 comments:

Diane said...

This is very striking and so pleasing! I love the different shapes and sizes. Wonderful stretch!

Jan said...

I really like this; great title. This would be a good piece to make into yardage on Spoonflower: I can see a big shirt out of it. Yum.

Nora said...

I really like this, Connie. I appeals to my sense of order and balance.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Thanks for sharing the very interesting process of the creation of this dynamic piece.