Thursday, September 2, 2010

And Now, The Fabric

These are the best fabrics from my print session late last week.  The top is my favorite for obvious reasons.  It was a piece of muslin painted with Dynaflow a few months ago.  Last week I printed over it with metallic paint, rolling the paint onto the fabric with a rubbing plate underneath.  Love this technique!


Two fat quarters of muslin, previously printed and/or dyed, now overprinted with metallic paint. 

The last, a piece of raw silk that I'd deconstructed printed over a year ago.  Now it has new life... now I'll use it!

A note about what I use for metallic paint ~ Lumiere, Golden Fluid Acrylics, Createx Pearlescent Colors.  I've actually had these Createx paints since the early 1990s, and they're still good.  I finally got them out of their squeeze bottles, though, so now they're easier to use...and if they're easier to use, then I WILL use them. 

I've come to hate squeeze bottles because of how difficult it is to get paint or glue out of them, how hard it is on the wrists and arms.  Ditto the tiny twist caps on so many things these days...like water bottles!  I end up using my teeth on a lot of stuff, but I'm trying not to.  I just wish everything came in small wide-mouth pots with easily removable airtight lids. 

9 comments:

Sandra Rude said...

Connie, they're all beautiful!

Jan said...

Yummy! Can't wait to see what you do with them...

Sandy said...

Great fabrics. I love the first one too. I agree on the squeeze bottles-hands don't like them.

Vicki W said...

These are fabulous! I especially love the 3rd one.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Terrfic fabrics. I love the blues but think my favourite is the second. You have a way with the metallics. Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

tiedyejudy said...

OMG, these are gorgeous! I love the idea with the rubbing plate! As for the squeeze bottles, something you might want to try is running hot water over the lid for a bit to soften anything that is stuck on the threads... learned that from a friend who was teaching me watercolor awhile back.

Judy said...

Love them all Connie. They appear to have so much texture!
I'm with you on squeeze bottles of any kind - even mustard and ketchup. They are just a method for us to consume more while receiving less! LOL

xo

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Super color and texture you have going on here, Connie. Very nice!- the top is my favorite.

Quilt or Dye said...

Oh, they are lov-er-ly! And thanks for sharing how you made them.