Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Second February Photo Quilt

Here's my second interpretation of a photo taken on Bellagio, Lake Como, in late 2007. This new piece is called Looking Back, and it is 20x16 inches. See the first quilt and the photo here. I totally love this new quilt, which brings together several techniques I've wanted to try, in one place.

First off, it is wholecloth -- one piece of fabric rather than pieced in any way -- and as such, is a piece of muslin that I "painted" with Caran d'ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons. Actually, I drew the scene with the crayons, then added water, and it became a watercolor painting on fabric.

After the fabric was dry and ironed to set the colors, I layered it with backing and batting, basted and then quilted it. The quilting is different for me, in that there's a lot less of it than there was on the first piece earlier this month. And I also quilted the color areas in a more general sense than I usually do, paying less attention to detail.

When it was all quilted, yesterday, I dabbed on metallic textile paints to give the impression of leaves, throughout. I used Lumiere, Setacolor Shimmers and Golden Fluid Acrylics.

I love the painterly quality of this piece, and so glad I finally experimented with painting the wholecloth and then quilting it.

8 comments:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

A stunner. That middle section is amazing. I like that you have done it in wholecloth and experimented with the different paints. I look forward to seeing more of this sort.

tiedyejudy said...

Fabulous! I would like to see all three, side by side to see how the two quilts look by the photo. Each quilt gives a unique impression of the scene. I can't decide which I like best, but I'm leaning toward the whole cloth quilt... something about the softer lines, I think. It is really beautiful!

Sandra Rude said...

Oooh! Love this one.

Approachable Art said...

Wow, such a departure for you... I like it!

Jan said...

Stunning!

fuzzy ort said...

Absolutely beautiful

Morna said...

Your work is beautiful!

TextileTraveler said...

I, too, love the "painterly quality" of this. Great work!