My usual method of finishing quilts has included sewing a fabric label on the back, as well as a hanging sleeve. However, when I decided a couple months ago that I wanted to put smaller pieces on frames, I stopped adding the sleeve. The first 16x12 piece I completed, I wrapped the fabric right around the frame and stapled it on. But I didn't really like it, it felt like something was missing. I unstapled it all and finished the quilt as usual, handstitching the facing on the back.
I realized that I prefer laying a finished quilt on top of a frame, as I did recently with some of my 10x10" quilts, and adhering it. But I haven't wanted to do this with my growing collection of 16x12" quilts -- largely because nearly all quilt shows and fiber art exhibitions require art quilts to have a hanging sleeve. If I frame these pieces permanently, then I can't enter them in shows.
Using the quilt I finished yesterday, Wave of The Future, I came up with this solution -- I added a sleeve, and then I adhered the quilt to a frame with that thick, tacky 2-sided tape, around the edges and in the middle. It works just fine, stays on the frame. When I want to show the pieces on frames, I will finish the sides as I did earlier, with acrylic paint or gesso, and I'll use more of the tacky tape. Meanwhile, when I want to enter the quilts in shows, they'll be ready to hang the normal way.
I spent nearly the entire day adding sleeves to eight recent quilts. Now they're all finished and ready to show!