Saturday, November 14, 2009

Good Odds

I finished this piece today...it's called Snake Eyes. This is my first quilt where I replicated one of my collages, with digital images on fabric. The collage is just below.

The sections of the collage that aren't parts of the python are torn pieces from a sheet of paper that I deconstructed printed a while back. This is also a very cool thing to do -- printing off a few pieces of paper with deconstructed screens at the same time you're printing fabric. The kind of kelly green splotches on white backgrounds were Shiva paintstix on paper.

I like how the whole piece translated to fabric, and quilting it was a pleasure. I used four different green threads. The images were printed on linen, and right to the edge of the fabric. I overlapped the sections slightly, then zigzagged with transparent thread. The other way to tile the fabric sections, of course, is to leave a border when printing, then stitch the pieces together right sides together. I wanted to avoid a thick seam, though, which is why I chose to overlap the sections.

I'm working on a few pieces now that are based on or influenced by collages I've done recently. Although the piece here is 16x20, the other ones will be 12x16. I'm planning a whole series of them throughout 2010. I anticipate some will be complete digital images on fabric while others will be machine appliqued collages in their own right, based on the paper collages.

7 comments:

The Green Stone Woman said...

Wow Connie, that's terrific. I'm amazed at how you are able to do that. Very masterful.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Great shapes and textures!

Chris said...

This is awesome! I love the greens and browns.

Deb said...

wonderful texture and I like how the eyes seem to glow.

Approachable Photos said...

I love this.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Great Piece. I especially like the contrast between the green patterning of the snake skin with the white blotches. The daily collage work you have done is really starting to pay off.
Shirley

The Idaho Beauty said...

How did you get such a brilliant transfer onto fabric? Are you printing directly onto treated fabric? Mine usually suffer and don't have the same saturation as the original image.