Monday, July 27, 2009

Rusting Again

A new friend from North Carolina, Irene Munroe, contacted me recently because she was taken with my rust dyeing from about a year ago. Once I saw Irene's photos, I knew instantly who the true master was -- and it wasn't me!

Following Irene's recipe, I did this piece last week. All photos here are from different areas on the same half yard of muslin.

The key to getting outrageous prints from rusting is this ~ soak your fabric in 50/50 vinegar and water, til the fabric is really wet. Wring out as little as possible. Wrap the fabric entirely around a rusted object, over and over again until you've got a neat little package that's really wet. Wrap this in clear plastic, a baggie if it'll fit, then wrap that in another piece of clear plastic. Let "cook" for 4 or 5 days. Unwrap, wash out in cold water, then wash in hot water with synthrapol.

I haven't figured out how to do this, yet, with a very large rusted thing. But maybe it's not necessary to have big objects when you can get full coverage on a piece of fabric with this method.

If you're interested in seeing Irene's photos, email me and I will put you in touch with her. She doesn't have a web presence and I'd prefer not to list her email here. But I'm sure she'd be glad to share her work with you!

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Looks great! I don't do rusting, but I did attend a talk with Regina Benson at the SDA conference (she spoke at a gallery where her pieces were being shown). She said the biggest key to good looking finished fabrics was to do it more than once. She said they're the most interesting after a couple of sessions of rusting, with more character. So maybe that's how you could do big pieces.

tiedyejudy said...

Beautiful, Connie! I am very impressed with the quantity of rust you got on your fabric. I will have to revisit rusting again...