Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Recent Spinning Demo

Here I am a couple of Saturdays ago, at our local Co-op, demonstrating spinning with a few other folks from my guild. We do this several times a year, showing off and selling raffle tickets for the shawl we made the previous year at the Humboldt County Fair. Raffle proceeds support fair premiums for the current year.

The fellow looking on is Harry Wells, president of the guild (also an associate dean at Humboldt State University, as well as being an avid spinner and knitter). Harry used to raise Angora bunnies.

That vest I'm wearing was spun and knit by me a number of years ago, and believe it or not, I've only just started wearing it! Funny how that is. The blue scarf was my first piece of woven fabric made entirely of hand dyed, handspun silk hankies.

I'm teaching my second class of three this weekend, Dyeing & Spinning Silk. Students will learn different methods of dyeing silk hankies and caps, as well as tussah and bombyx top. Sunday we'll spin up what we dye on Saturday. This next photo is finished yarns from my last silk dyeing class, last summer.

The third class I've added this season is Color to Dye For, and that one will happen on May 10 and 11. I'll be teaching how to mix and use acid dyes, and students will create a swatch book of colors on silk fabric. If you're interested in attending that class, let me know as soon as possible. There are only six spaces available.

More later!

6 comments:

Sweet Irene said...

I needn't tell you that I would love to come to your class, just to meet you and see you at work and hear the spinning wheel purr.

Connie Rose said...

Would love to have you, Irene. I've taken you into my thoughts all the time, so you'll be here in spirit!

GrammaKnits said...

Wish I lived nearby! I just bought some silk hankies last weekend to dye (which will be a new experience for me). I've only done wool before.

Love the abalone!
Theresa

Connie Rose said...

Hi Theresa! Did you get instructions with the hankies you bought? If not, email me and I'll send you a PDF that I give to folks who buy them from me.
Happy Day!

Maggie's Farm said...

I am enjoying your blog. What are you spinning on in this picture - a Lendrum? Louet? How do you like your wheel? Another question - do you ever blend silk with wool for strength or color? Your silk yarn is just stunning.

Connie Rose said...

Hi Maggie,
I spin on a Lendrum and I love it. I used to blend silk and wool all the time -- I especially like medium to dark natural gray wool with brilliantly dyed silk. The gray tones down the bright colors and the effect is stunning.
Thanks for your compliments on my yarns!