Thursday, April 10, 2008

Breaking the Rules

I broke the "dyeing rules" yesterday, when I dyed tencel and bamboo, both cellulose fibers, with acid dyes normally used for protein fibers. But I like to experiment. Here are the results:

The bamboo is on the left, tencel on the right. I used color at about DOS 2 (depth of shade), which is normally medium dark, and I steamed the fiber for longer than I usually do with protein fibers. The cellulose fibers did not take up the dye all that well, nevertheless I am happy with the results. I would call this colorway Abalone. I'll post the yarn after it's been spun up.

I just shot a video home tour this morning, but it's quite a large file and I'm having problems uploading it (have tried Google, Yahoo, Flickr and Blogger!). As soon as I get my technical difficulties resolved, I'll upload it for your viewing enjoyment!

7 comments:

temptressyarn said...

These turned out gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your experiment. It's good to break the rules sometimes, isn't it?

Connie Rose said...

Thanks! Yes, I love breaking rules -- that's what they're made for!

Sweet Irene said...

It does look like abalone. Good for you for breaking the rules. Now, what will you make of it, you weaver of fine art products?

Sue O'Kieffe said...

have you tried youtube?
beautiful colors, very north coast!

Connie Rose said...

Irene, I have no idea what I'll make from these yarns. There will be more experimenting after they're spun up, regarding light and colorfastness. These qualities are a couple of the reasons why acid dyes are not recommended for cellulose fibers. So we'll see.

Thanks, Sue, for your tip on YouTube. I need to explore that option, haven't had the time yet.

velmalikevelvet said...

I'm curious how you managed to set the dye on the tencel. Won't all the dye bleed out as soon as the yarn or item hits water? That was my experience when I goofed and added bamboo and hemp to an acid dye bath with wool: no prob with the wool, but all the dye washed out of the hemp & bamboo immediately. Just wondering.

Connie Rose said...

Well, it hasn't washed out yet, so we'll see after the yarn is finished. I'll ply the tencel and bamboo together, then wash the finished yarn. So it remains to be seen!